29 March 2011

Wisdom, sort of

"Wise men talk because they have something to say,
fools, because they have to say something."
~Plato~

When I saw this quote, it hit me pretty hard. All I could think of is, "How many times do I say something in a conversation because I have to talk about me?"

When should a person hold their tongue, and when to speak? According to Plato, only a wise person will know. I believe that we all have wisdom in parts of our lives and of things on the world. The challenge is to know when we are adding to a conversation, or just taking up space.

For most of my life, I have worked to be a 'Jack of all trades.' It was a while before I knew the whole of the quote. The last part of it is: 'Master of none.' I found out that most of what I said, when asked, comes from common sense or thin air. Funny enough, the majority of what I said turned out to be true.

I have since worked to have a better learning, so I don't have to make a fool out of myself. I have begun to watch what I say and when I say it. I know that I am the better for it. Another thing that I do now that I didn't really do before is to speak from my own experiences and not from other's point of view. That way, I know what I say is true, and I have less chance of misquoting or lead others astray.

One thing that you may notice in my blog is that I try not to use the word 'you' unless I am talking about you. If I am talking about something and it is for all of us, I will say 'we.' I feel that this way, I can talk to you, without preaching, or projecting.

I've kinda gotten off subject again. I will always try to do my best and only give what I know, and when it is applicable to the conversation. Tangents are fun sometimes, but they are included.

Thanks again,
Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment