30 March 2011

Word of the Day

Today's word of the day has many meanings, depending on the context and pronunciation. The word of the day is:

Bow:

1. A bend of the upper body or head as a sign of respect;

2. A main branch of a tree;

3. The front end of a ship;

4. A shaped object strung with taut string used to launch projectiles; arrows;

5. A knot tied with two loops and two loose ends, mainly used with shoes and decorative ribbons

Again, yes it’s a common word. The fun thing is to see how many other ways the word can be applied to my life.

One way is to look at it like I’m the bow4 and I think about what objects or projectiles am I launching. Another is to picture myself as the figurehead of a ship plowing through rough waters, headstrong and adventurous.

Each way I think of it, now thoughts come to my mind. Like what adventures I am going on, and what I’m going to see. I want to see the world, and what better place than on the bow of a ship sailing through the ocean?

Then I think of number five and wonder about the usefulness and beauty of a bow. On a shoe, it’s the best knot to use, easy to tie, and easier to untie. As a bow on a present, it adds the finishing touch to show love for the one that is being given the gift. The smile that I see on my sister’s face as a little girl and receiving a gift with a bow on top is a very fond memory.

She loved putting it on her head and showing it off to everyone. There are so many ways to look at the world, and they are all at our beck and call. There’s the cliché, “Look on the bright side.” Funny enough, it’s true.

No comments:

Post a Comment